logo logo logo logo logo2 logo3 logo4 logo5 logo6 SCU logo7 logo8 logo9 logo10 logo11 logo12 logo13 logo14 logo17 logo16 logo17 logo18 logo19 logo20 logo21 logo22 logo23 logo24 logo25 logo26


Few students know that there is not a single standard student visa that is applicable to all. Depending on the type of study that you plan on undertaking, the Australian government determines the class of visa that you will be applicable for.

The different types of study that determine your visa class are -

  • English Language Course
  • Graduate Degree
  • Vocation Training
  • Higher Education, etc

The following visas were awarded to students up to the date of 30thJune, 2016.

  • Student Guardian Visa (subclass 580)
  • Foreign Affairs or Defense (Subclass 576)
  • Non-award (Subclass 575)
  • Post Graduate Research Student (Subclass 574)
  • Student for Higher Education (Subclass 573)
  • Student pursuing vocational Education and Training (Subclass 572)
  • Schools (Subclass 571)
  • Independent ELICOS (Subclass 570)

However, since the 1st of July, 2016, prospective students who wish to continue with their education will have to apply through the either of the following visa subclass to be eligible for Australia:

  • Subclass 500 (Student)
  • Subclass 590 (Student Guardian).

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website provides comprehensive information on visa classes and the changes made in their regulations

If you plan on visiting Australia for a shorter course you will be eligible to apply for a visitor or working holiday maker visa. In addition to this, Australia also makes provisions for student guardian visas.

For a Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

This visa provides for individuals to reside with a student in Australia in cases when the student is in need for a guardian (under 18 years old). To be eligible for the visa:

  • You must be a parent, custodian or a relative of at least 21 years of age and has been nominated by the parent or custodian of the student
  • You must not bring any family members who are younger than 6 years except under select exemptions
  • You must be financially stable enough to provide for the accommodation, support and welfare of the student OR apply for the visa with thesupport of your countrys government
  • You should be able to financially sustain your stay in Australia

For more information on visas, changes made to their andpolicies and the different options to choose from, contact our experts at BN Global Consulting Services.

And call us on 04-02652084, 03-86486464 (Australia) and +91-9560910913 (India) or write to us on info@globalcareerabroad.com.au.